Interested in BEAM’s mission and vision? Then feel free to check out the various possibilities for getting involved in the BEAM movement.
Ways to get involved:
- Research and Writing Team:
The Research and Writing Team offers a variety of opportunities to engage with current events, policy, and personal narratives. Currently, we are looking for individuals who are interested in doing the following:
- Researching current events and research related to body-positivity, body-acceptance, eating disorders, disordered eating, body image, etc, and then writing regular opinion or critique pieces.
- Helping manage and review personal narrative submissions.
- Researching and choosing articles to be posted on social media that meet our internal guidelines.
- Researching, writing about, and helping educating others about policy related to eating disorders, disordered eating, body image, etc.
You are also welcome to simply submit your own narrative to be posted on our site or to propose any other project that you believe falls under “Research and Writing”.
2. Event Planning Team:
The Event Planning Team would be primarily responsible for the success of the various events we host throughout the school year. The two main categories of involvement include:
- Logistic work – assisting in determining how events will occur. This includes aiding the Core Team in figuring out the location, date, time, and agenda of the events. It also includes helping the day-of logistics, such as leading group sessions.
- Outreach – assisting in getting people to attend the events. This includes helping design flyers, doing class announcements, giving out flyers, and helping plan the social media related to the event.
You are also welcome to simply propose an event or any other project or position that you believe falls under “Event Planning”.
3. Resources and Support Team:
The primary role of the Resources and Support Team is to ensure that all students who seek accurate and reliable information and resources have access to them. Some potential projects may include:
- Responding to e-mails or Facebook messages that request resources or support.
- Re-directing individuals looking for resources to proper channels (including on and off-campus options)
- Keeping up to date the available resources that BEAM currently maintains.
- Acting as mood-watchers during events, so as to provide support to individuals if they feel triggered or otherwise uncomfortable during an event.
Please feel free to contact us to discuss the possibilities to plug in or to offer any ideas you may have. You are also welcome to submit any resources you believe we should add to our resource list or propose a project or role you believe falls under “Resources and Support”.